I woke up pretty early for me (at least for a weekend).  Got my bike and gear all loaded up and headed down to Eric's.  We loaded up their stuff and were on our way by 9.  We drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon towards Guardsmens Pass to ride the epic Wasatch Crest trail.  We left Jason's 4Runner at the Mill D North parking lot, and drove up to the trailhead in my car.  Then the ride began.

They call it puke hill for a reason.  It's long.  It's hot.  It's at almost 10,000 feet, so there is very little oxygen.  We took plenty of rests, and made it to the clearing before turning left and starting the grind.  First switchback.  Second switchback.  Now straight up.  I made it to about the tree line before I got off and walked.  Jason was first up there, then me, then Eric.  We all relaxed to let our hearts stop trying to jump out of our chests, and attempt to get some oxygen in our blood.  That is the worst part of the ride.  After we recouperated we began the rest of it.

The fun part!  Lots of flowing single track.  After one more climb, and several other stops to catch our breath we got to the spine.  Saw a couple people ride down the side of it.  Much easier than going over the top.  Then came the descent to Desolation Lake.  I didn't remember it being so rocky, but there were several sections that were just a crazy rock garden.  Right at the top of it Eric got a pinch flat.  So they changed the tube, while I went down further and found a fun spot for pictures.

After Desolation Lake we went down the rest pretty quickly.  I'm happy to say I rode all the techincal sections, so that confidence is coming along nicely.  By the end though my legs and arms were wasted.  Mostly from the descent.  Just under 10 miles in about 4 hours.  Pictures in the gallery.

We were ready for some lunch, so after the ride we drove down and got lunch at Astro Burger.  Hit the spot.  Then it was off to home for me.  I got home and cleaned up.  After resting for a bit I jumped on my motorcycle and headed up to Kimball Junction to get some clothes.  Picked up some shirts and some pants.  Then turned around and headed back to Salt Lake.  Rather than going home I went to Eric's to see if Jason and he were still hanging.  Eric was pretty wiped out.  We just sat around and watched The Iron Giant.  Then I headed home to relax for the night and just finished watching todays stage of the Tour de France.  Bed time now.

No feedback yet

Form is loading...